Monday, January 16, 2017

Resisting Day by Day

(repost of  Jan 16, 2009)
Today’s Bible Reading:  Genesis 39-41, Luke 16
Topic: Temptation


SCRIPTURE:  Genesis 39:7-10

7 And it came to pass... that his master's wife cast longing eyes on Joseph, and she said, "Lie with me."
8 But he refused...
10 So it was, as she spoke to Joseph day by day, that he did not heed her to lie with her or be with her.  (Gen 39:7-10 NKJV)


OBSERVATION:

Joseph was confronted with a temptation and it wasn't a one time temptation to sin, but "day by day" (v. 10) Potiphar's wife prodded and urged and presented the temptation to Joseph. Joseph had to resist and keep resisting. For many people that is how Satan works - he keeps on tempting them especially in areas where they are weak. His plan is that at some point, after continually being offered the means and the opportunity, they will grow weary of resisting, give in, and fall into the sin. Joseph didn't give in; Joseph did not fall, he held to his integrity and convictions.


APPLICATION:
Joseph is an example to me. It IS possible to continually resist sin, even in the areas where I am the weakest and most susceptible to fall. When I am weary or discouraged or weak, I can still yet resist temptations placed before me.


PRAYER:
May I have the resolve to continually resist the devil, that he flee from me (James 4:7). Lord, grant me that help in Jesus' name.  Amen.  -AP


No comments: