Friday, January 20, 2017

A Place of Favor and Honor

Today’s Bible Reading:  Genesis 49-50, Psalm 8, Luke 20
Topic: Honor



SCRIPTURE:  Genesis 49:29-33

29 Then he (Jacob) charged them (his sons) and said to them: “I am to be gathered to my people; bury me with my fathers in the cave that is in the field of Ephron the Hittite, 30 in the cave that is in the field of Machpelah, which is before Mamre in the land of Canaan, which Abraham bought with the field of Ephron the Hittite as a possession for a burial place. 31 There they buried Abraham and Sarah his wife, there they buried Isaac and Rebekah his wife, and there I buried Leah. 32 The field and the cave that is there were purchased from the sons of Heth.” 33 And when Jacob had finished commanding his sons, he drew his feet up into the bed and breathed his last, and was gathered to his people.
(Gen 49:29-33 NKJV)


OBSERVATION:

I never noticed before that Leah, not Rachel, was given the honor of being buried in the family burial place. Rachel was the favored wife whom Jacob loved. Leah, the unloved and set aside, actually bore Jacob more sons because God looked with compassion upon her (Gen 29:31). I wonder if there is a parallel between Jacob & Esau and Rachel & Leah? Esau sold his birthright for a bowl of porridge and ultimately lost his father's blessing as well. I wonder if Rachel didn't sell her favor for some mandrakes (Gen 30:14-19), and lose her place of honor by bringing idols into the family (Gen 31:19, 34-35)?


APPLICATION:

The key lesson here for me is that one must not take the Lord’s favor lightly.  Yet, putting Him in first place is not merely a formula for currying His favor.  God knows my heart, and it is He who will bring me favor, blessing and honor as He chooses.


PRAYER:

Lord, forgive me of my trespasses and weaknesses. May I find favor in Your sight and ever bring You honor.  It is You Lord who establish my place. I praise You and thank You. In Christ Jesus.  Amen.  -AP

No comments: