Sunday, January 8, 2017

Only Believe

2016-01-08 Today’s Reading: Genesis 20-22, Luke 8

Title: “Only Believe”
Topic: Faith


SCRIPTURE: Genesis 22:6-8 & Luke 8:50

6 So Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife, and the two of them went together. 7 But Isaac spoke to Abraham his father and said, “My father!”
And he said, “Here I am, my son.”
Then he said, “Look, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?”
8 And Abraham said, “My son, God will provide for Himself the lamb for a burnt offering.” So the two of them went together.
 (Genesis 22:6-8)

Jesus said, “Do not be afraid, only believe...” (Luke 8:50)


OBSERVATION:
When God told Abraham to sacrifice his only son Isaac as a burnt offering, Abraham did not argue. He proceeded to obey, apparently believing that God is good and would provide a lamb as a substitute for Isaac; but he didn't hesitate to obey. What tremendous faith!

Faith is like a catalyst that activates the power of God to provide miracles. This is what Jesus taught us. When Jarius' daughter died, the facts of the matter said it was too late, she was gone, she was dead. But, Jesus said, “Believe and she will rise up and be well” (Luke 8:50).


APPLICATION:
What a challenge this is to me to have faith and believe God no matter what things may look like.


PRAYER:
Lord I believe! Please help my unbelief. Grant unto me the measure of the gift of faith when You deem it is needed, give me wisdom and discernment to recognize when that is, and give me courage to act upon that faith.

By Your Holy Spirit and through Jesus Christ - Amen. -AP

No comments: