Tuesday, April 18, 2017

You are the Light of the World

Today’s Bible Reading:  1 Samuel 15-16; Psalm 34; Matthew 5

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading:
Topic: Discipleship



SCRIPTURE:  Matthew 5:14,16

Jesus says…

14 “You are the light of the world.  16 …let your light shine before men, that they may see…” (Mt 5:14, 16 NIV)


OBSERVATION:

These are the words of Jesus, but the first question to be answered is to whom are His words here addressed? Matthew 5 begins the recording of one of Jesus’ best known and longest teachings, the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus was speaking to the multitudes of people who had come to hear him, but His words are addressed specifically to His followers—“His disciples” (5:1). In this passage (vv.14-16) Jesus is speaking directly to committed disciples, those who face persecution because of their belief in Him. To you who are ridiculed, insulted and lied about because of your faith (v. 11), Jesus imparts an awesome calling: Become what I am to the world.

Jesus Himself was “the light of the world.”

“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (Jn 8:12 NIV)


APPLICATION:

Now Jesus is saying that when you receive me into your life, you become an extension of me, you become the light of the world. So do not hide that light! Do not cower in the face the harsh rebuffing you will undoubtedly face because of me, because as mean and evil as people may be, I love them and they desperately need the light of life I bring. My light in you is now yours. Let your light so shine before men that they may see their own wretchedness and their own need to live in the Light. 


PRAYER:


Lord, bless me with the strength and courage to openly live my faith. May I unashamedly allow the Light of Your presence within me to shine for all to see.  In Jesus’ name. Amen.  -AP

No comments: