Friday, April 21, 2017

Committed to Follow

Today’s Bible Reading:  1 Samuel 24; Psalm 57-58; 1 Chronicles 8; Matthew 8

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading:
Topic: Commitment



SCRIPTURE:  Matthew 7:13-14

19 Then a teacher of the law came to him (Jesus) and said, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go."
20 Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."
21 Another disciple said to him, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father."
22 But Jesus told him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead."
(Matt 8:19-22 NIV)


OBSERVATION:

These verses challenge disciples to examine themselves and ask, “How strong is my commitment to follow Jesus? Is following Jesus more important than anything else? – More than my own comfort (having a place to sleep)? – More important than my perceived obligations (like honoring beloved departed)?”


APPLICATION:

Jesus probably won’t ask me to skip a funeral or to sleep on the street, but my allegiance to Him and trust in Him should be such that wherever He leads and whatever He asks, I know I’ll be okay.


PRAYER:


Lord, may my faith and trust in You be bolstered, and my commitment be unwavering. Amen.  -AP

No comments: