Friday, April 7, 2017

The House of Pruitt

Today’s Bible Reading:  1 Samuel 1-2; Psalm 66; 2 Corinthians 7

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading:
Topic: Legacy



SCRIPTURE:  Genesis 1:27-28

30 … the Lord declares: … Those who honor me I will honor, but those who despise me will be disdained. 31 The time is coming when I will cut short your strength and the strength of your father's house, so that there will not be an old man in your family line.
(1 Sam 2:30-32 NIV)


OBSERVATION:

In the context of this passage, the Lord was speaking to Eli and his house (his family line). Eli’s line was a family of priests, but Eli’s sons were corrupt and willfully sinful, bringing disgrace to the priesthood. For the Jews, unlike our American culture today, the place of the patriarch was important, revered and considered a great blessing to the house. If the family line was cut off, meaning no more sons would be born, there would eventually be no more blessing of an old man and that house would come to an end.


APPLICATION:

I love my family so very much—both my biological and spiritually adopted children. I boast in them always. I think they love me too, although our culture does not hold such esteem for the place of patriarch.

For my branch of the family name Pruitt, having no Pruitt grandsons, I may be the last old man of the house of Pruitt. Yet I hope that my legacy to all of my children, grandchildren and succeeding generations will be felt.


PRAYER:

My tent has been expanded to include my Easter children together with the Pruitt’s. Lord, make a good and lasting legacy for the family You have blessed me with. May I, as Father Pruitt, leave an enduring mark for You in our family line.  

Through Christ and for Your glory. Amen.  -AP

No comments: