Sunday, April 9, 2017

Sow Heartily

Today’s Bible Reading:  1 Samuel 6-7; Psalm 72; 2 Corinthians 9

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading:
Topic: Giving



SCRIPTURE:  2 Corinthians 9:6-7

6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
(2 Cor 9:6-8 NIV)


OBSERVATION:

Paul continues his exhortations on giving in the 9th chapter of this epistle to the Corinthian Church. He uses an agricultural analogy to make the point for generosity—the more seeds one sows in good soil, the more crops he will have at harvest. Likewise, the more one gives, the more blessings he will receive in return. Lest however we should forget that it is not as important what or how much one gives as how he gives, Paul reminds us that in God’s economy it is the heart of the giver, not the amount of the gift that brings His blessing.


APPLICATION:

I should not give reluctantly or because I feel pressured or guilted into giving. What I give is my own decision, but it should be heartfelt and given as cheerfully as I enjoy giving gifts to my children.


PRAYER:

Lord, may You bless me with more to give and may I be obedient to do so joyfully.

In Christ Jesus. Amen.  -AP

No comments: