Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Eye See

Today’s Bible Reading:  1 Samuel 22; Psalm 17, 35; Matthew 6

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading:
Topic: Attitude



SCRIPTURE:  Matthew 6:22-23

22 “The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But it your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness.” (Mt 6:22-23 NKJ)


OBSERVATION:

Jesus says, “The lamp of the body is the eye.” What does this allegory of the eye represent? What we see comes into our consciousness. If we think of the “eye” in this way, we could surmise that what we see (what we take in) affects us for either good or bad. Using this premise, we must be careful what we look at lest it defile us. However, it is often true that we “see” some pretty horrible, dark things in this world through no choice of our own. Does the sight of these things necessarily mean that we are now bad or dark? Note also that Jesus says, “If your eye is good, you will be full of light. If your eye is bad, you will be full of darkness.” This is talking about the condition of the eye rather than what is seen through it.


APPLICATION:

I don’t think Jesus is talking about “what” I see but rather “how” I see things. We have a tendency to see what we are looking for. If I expect the worst from people I will see them cynically. My view will be dark. If I believe the best from others the cynic will call me naïve, but I will see and encourage bright possibilities by my attitude. This is what Jesus is telling me: If my perception of things is always toward darkness I will be full of darkness, but if I dwell on the Light in the midst of darkness my being will be “full of light.” 


PRAYER:


Lord, help me always to see in the Light. For the good of myself and others and for Your glory. Amen.  -AP

No comments: