Monday, April 10, 2017

Who Toots My Horn?

Today’s Bible Reading:  1 Samuel 8-10; 2 Corinthians 10

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading:
Topic: Boasting



SCRIPTURE:  2 Corinthians 10:18

For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends. (2 Cor 10:18 NIV)


OBSERVATION:

This statement seems so obvious. Basically it says, “Don’t toot your own horn.” There is something in our human nature that enjoys receiving accolades. We love it when other people praise our achievements; and often we tend to make sure they hear about them so they will know to compliment us. But whether or not we are bragging or listening to others boasting for us, the only commendation that matters is what comes from the Lord.


APPLICATION:

I’ll admit that I really appreciate receiving positive feedback from people. Not only does it feed my ego, but it encourages me to try even harder and excel all the more. Likewise, negative feedback, though not pleasurable, helps me make corrections and grow. Self boasting produces nothing and the praise of others can be fleeting. I must let God toot my horn.


PRAYER:


Lord, may I live as one whom You commend. Through Christ. Amen.  -AP

No comments: