Sunday, June 11, 2017

To Live is Christ

Today’s Bible Reading:  Song of Solomon 5-8; Philippians 1
Topic: Serving the Lord




SCRIPTURE:  Philippians 1:12-14, 18-24 NIV

The Apostle Paul writing from prison…

12 Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. 13 As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. 14 Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly.

18 …Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, 19 for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.  20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. (Phil 1:12-14, 18-24 NIV)


OBSERVATION:

The Apostle Paul’s letter to the Christians in Philippi is written as he has been chained in prison for preaching the Gospel of Christ. Rather than causing people to fear and be deterred from preaching the Gospel, his imprisonment has actually spurred others to preach more courageously and fearlessly.” Because of this, Paul rejoices.

Paul is totally sold out for Jesus. His entire outlook and joy in life is centered only on advancing the Gospel—the mission given to him. If being in prison advances the cause, Paul rejoices. As long as he lives and in whatever conditions he lives, he will continue to labor and apparently has no doubt that it will be, “fruitful labor” (v. 22). So, for Paul, to die is get to go be with Jesus—the most desirable outcome for him. However, to continue living on this side of heaven is to whole-heartedly serve his Lord (v. 21).


APPLICATION:

The total commitment demonstrated by Paul is inspiring. My life and ministry has not seen the level of hardship Paul endured with grace, but I hope my resolve is the same. With the Lord’s help and a sure calling I, and other Christians far and wide, can fulfill our destinies with fruitfulness and joy. I too can endure, as Shakespeare put it, “the whips and scorns of outrageous fortune” if need be. Knowing that to die is gain for me, my desire is that as long as I yet live my life is to be in and for Christ.    


PRAYER:

Until that day Lord, I remain in You. Amen.  –AP


No comments: