Monday, June 19, 2017

By the gods

Today’s Bible Reading:  2 Kings 1-3; Psalm 82; 1 Timothy 1

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading:
Topic: False gods



SCRIPTURE:  Psalm 82

1 God presides in the great assembly; he gives judgment among the "gods":

2 "How long will you defend the unjust and show partiality to the wicked?
Selah

3 Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. 4 Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

5 "They know nothing, they understand nothing. They walk about in darkness; all the foundations of the earth are shaken.

6 "I said, 'You are "gods"; you are all sons of the Most High.' 7 But you will die like mere men; you will fall like every other ruler."

8 Rise up, O God, judge the earth, for all the nations are your inheritance.
(Ps 82 NIV)


OBSERVATION:

God is the One true God with a capital “G” over and above all other pseudo lower case “g” gods. There are plenty of these gods that people follow and serve, but the psalmist calls them out for what they are. These gods look only to particular desires and longings and care not for the poor, oppressed, weak and needy. They act importantly and seek followers, but in reality they ignorantly dwell in darkness and feed on the weak of mind and spirit. These gods, which are no gods at all, are all as men under the Most High God and will all eventually perish.


APPLICATION:

People today still ignorantly follow after false gods, although the title of “god” is seldom used or acknowledged. These gods are known by other names: pleasure, convenience, status, choice, comfort… Sometimes they take on fine sounding “protector” names: environmental protection, wildlife protection, protect our borders… or “rights” titles: human rights, animal rights, minority rights, worker rights, health care rights, gun rights, right of speech, right of protest, right of choice, sexual preference rights… Sometimes they are gods against something or gods for something. To whatever it is one offers the most of their allegiance, time and energy, it can ostensibly be regarded in this sense as a god to them. So the question that each one must ask and answer is: Do I worship and serve the capital “G” God, or does my time and energy belie that I actually follow after a lower case “g” god or gods?


PRAYER:

Lord I realize that to pursue righteous and worthwhile causes is noble and honoring to You when it is what You have called me to. Forgive me when I have expended the lion’s share of my time and devotion to other pursuits that have not been sanctioned by You for me. It is my desire to worship You, and You alone. Guide my steps and direct my path I pray.
Through Christ Jesus. Amen.  -AP

No comments: