Friday, June 9, 2017

God’s Love and Consolation

Today’s Bible Reading:  Ecclesiastes 10-12; Psalm 94; Ephesians 5

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading:
Topic: God’s Presence



SCRIPTURE:  Psalm 94:18-19

18 When I said, "My foot is slipping," your love, O Lord, supported me.
19 When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.
(Ps 94:18-19 NIV)


OBSERVATION:

Have you ever felt as though you were slipping and in danger of falling? Maybe you have sensed the temptation to give in to an old bad habit, or to compromise your integrity in some way. Perhaps you are about to lose control of a situation or to lose your temper. Maybe you’re about to lose a job, or the love of someone dear to you seems to be waning; or maybe it is your passion that feels like it is slipping. Maybe your financial situation is in jeopardy and you are worried. Perhaps you are experiencing poor health or your vitality is weakening and angst within you is rising. Whatever the case, the psalmist exhorts that when you cry out, “Oh God! I’m starting to slip!” He is present to support you and lift you up with His love and consolation.  


APPLICATION:

When everything seems to be falling apart around you, the distraction of that commotion in both the physical and spiritual realms tries to draw your eyes away from your faith. Take heart and remember these encouraging words from Psalm 94. God is present. Look to Him more than the distraction. His love will keep you from falling and His consolation can restore your joy.  


PRAYER:

My Lord and my God, I know You have not promised a life without pain, challenges or discomfort, but you have promised Your presence, Your love and Your help. When tough situations befall me, remind me by Your Holy Spirit that You are present. Regardless of what evil seems to be prevailing, my best is still in Your capable hands. With thanksgiving and joy in Christ. Amen.  –AP

No comments: