Saturday, June 17, 2017

Look Up

Today’s Bible Reading:  1 Kings 20-21; 2 Chronicles 17; Colossians 3

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading:
Topic: Life In Christ



SCRIPTURE:  Colossians 3:1-4

1 If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory. (Col 3:1-4 NKJV)


OBSERVATION:

What is your vision like? I am nearsighted. I can see things close up perfectly fine, but to see things far away I have to wear corrective lenses. Even before I wore glasses I was pretty nearsighted in that I always tended to only see things close around me; not because of my eyesight, but because I didn’t look up and around very much. As a school boy walking home from school I would more likely be looking down at my feet kicking a rock along the road rather that looking up to see the trees or the sky. As I grew older I trained myself to look up regularly and enjoy a much greater scope of vision and a much broader world view. Paul here says to look up to where Christ is, rather than to things on the earth.


APPLICATION:

Sometimes as Christians we can be pretty nearsighted too. We will do well and live life more fully if we will heed the admonition to stop dwelling so much on the things of earth and look up. If you are a believer in and follower of Christ Jesus, your real home is with Him not on this earth. Just as Jesus died and rose again, so we have died to our old life and have been raised to eternal life with Him. Don’t be nearsightedly focused on your earthly life. See beyond to infinitely greater and more glorious realities that are yours in Christ.


PRAYER:

Thank You Lord for the fullness of life You have given to me today and forever. Thank You for eternal life with You in my heavenly home when my earthly life has passed. Thank You for the richness of life You offer me on this side of heaven as well, as I look up and realize the boundless and glorious life You have lovingly made possible for me. 

In Christ. Amen.  -AP

No comments: