Sunday, June 25, 2017

Keeping a Pure Conscience

Today’s Bible Reading:  Joel 1-3; 2 Timothy 1

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading:
Topic: Christian Walk



SCRIPTURE:  2 Timothy 1:3

I thank God, whom I serve with a pure conscience…  (2 Tim 1:3 NKJV)


OBSERVATION:

This is at the beginning of Paul’s second letter to Timothy, his “son in the faith.” On writing this epistle it seems Paul was nearing the end of his earthly life (see 4:6-7):

6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. (2 Tim 4:6-7 NIV)   

I like that Paul was able to state with confidence that his conscience was pure. This of course was not always the case in Paul’s life. He had been the great persecutor of the early Church. He had been lost in sin and darkness. He had seen the Light, accepted Christ and answered to call to ministry and apostleship. Now his conscience is clear. He has been forgiven of his sins and has faithfully served the Lord. 


APPLICATION:

I am grateful that at this juncture of my life I am able to state likewise. My conscience—my inner thoughts and motivations—is pure. Like Paul, this has not always been the case in my life. There have been times, even though I was serving the Lord, that my conscience was clouded with temporal longings and desires. Yet, I have come to the place of only desiring the Lord and His direction. I do not always perceive that or even do that correctly (my purity of conscience is only due to the perfection of Christ within me), but I can confidently say that my heart’s desire today is first and only toward the Lord.


PRAYER:

Lord, thank You for the assurance You have given me in my heart. Keep me from stumbling along the way. Correct me when needed. Grant me the wisdom to recognize Your correction and the courage to receive and follow it. My desire is to worship You alone and to love people on Your behalf.
In Jesus’ name. Amen.  -AP

No comments: