Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Go in Peace

Today’s Bible Reading:  2 Kings 4-5; Psalm 83; 1 Timothy 2

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading:
Topic: God’s Grace



SCRIPTURE:  2 Kings 5:17-19

Naaman, commander of the armies of the king of Aram, after being healed of his leprosy, says to the prophet Elisha…

17 …for your servant will never again make burnt offerings and sacrifices to any other god but the Lord. 18 But may the Lord forgive your servant for this one thing: When my master enters the temple of Rimmon to bow down and he is leaning on my arm and I bow there also — when I bow down in the temple of Rimmon, may the Lord forgive your servant for this."

19 "Go in peace," Elisha said. (2 Kings 5:17-19 NIV)


OBSERVATION:

On reading this familiar story of Naaman, I was struck by verses 18 and 19. But first let’s get some background and summarize Naaman’s story. Naaman was the commander of the Aramaean army and beloved by the king of Aram. The Aramaeans were worshippers of the idol god Rimmon, and they were one of many constant threats to neighboring Israel. Naaman had sadly contracted leprosy and nothing could be done for him until an Israelite slave girl suggested that the prophet Elisha in Israel could heal his leprosy. The king of Aram gave Naaman leave to seek out Elisha. Not to drag out the story too long, Elisha tells Naaman to dip seven times under the waters of the Jordan River. Naaman reluctantly but obediently does so and is miraculously healed. He offers gifts to Elisha which Elisha refuses. The experience has turned Naaman into a true believer of Jehovah, the God of Israel. Then, as Naaman is about to return to Aram, we come to verses 17-19.

Naaman realizes that when he gets back to Aram he will still be expected to accompany his king in the temple of Rimmon, yet he has now been enlightened, proclaiming, “Now I know that there is no God in all the world except in Israel” (verse 15) and, “I will never again make burnt offerings and sacrifices to any other god but the Lord” (verse 17). He wants to know if the Lord can forgive him when his duty demands that he join his king in the temple of Rimmon. Is he chastised? Is he condemned? No, Elisha’s answer: “Go in peace.”   


APPLICATION:

It is comforting to know that the Lord knows the intent of our hearts over and above outward appearances. Sometimes the world forces us to comply with things our hearts do not agree with. It is certainly within our purview to protest and resist. However, when it comes to the point that society and the authorities in power forcibly compel compliance, take comfort in knowing that God sees the intent of your heart, not an action forced upon you. If such a situation should ever befall you and on the inside you are saying, “I hate this! I don’t want to do this! I don’t agree with this! I love, worship and serve the Lord God alone!” –then hear the voice of the Lord to you, “Go in peace.”


PRAYER:

My Lord and my God, Your loving graciousness is overwhelming! Grant me the strength and courage to resist evil; to stand in protest against wickedness. When men’s laws and societal mores constrain me under severe punishment or even actual physical force to actions against my will, thank You for the peace You offer me.

In and through Christ Jesus. Amen.  -AP

No comments: