Saturday, July 22, 2017

The Joy of Faith that Knows

Today’s Bible Reading:  Isaiah 36-37; Psalm 76; 1 Peter 1

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading:
Topic: Faith



SCRIPTURE:  1 Peter 1:8-9   

8 Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, 9 for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls. (1 Peter 1:8-9 NIV)


OBSERVATION:

The essence of faith isn’t just believing in something you cannot see, it is knowing the reality of something you cannot see nor cognitively prove. I believe in God, and I have a real relationship with Him through my belief in God the Son, Christ Jesus. I know real joy, fulfillment and purpose that is inexpressible in purely intellectual terms. Yet it is as real and tangible to me as the keyboard I am typing on right now. There is a spiritual component to my being that is beyond explanation intellectually but is even more real than what I can physically see or touch. This is what I believe Peter is expressing and what I am trying to express here even though it may only be realized spiritually and is “inexpressible” by the written word.


APPLICATION:

As human beings the only tools we have with which to communicate the love of God are language and actions. It is certainly a challenge to share faith, but part of our faith is believing that as we express the love of God with our words and our actions that His Holy Spirit can make those connections with others that are beyond us.


PRAYER:

Lord help me to express Your love and truth. Holy Spirit use my feeble efforts to share Your love. Bring enlightenment, life and joy to those struggling in a world of physical discomfort; to those searching for meaning amid a morass of varied toxic ideologies; to those who need to receive the goal of faith—the salvation of their souls.    
Through Christ. Amen.  -AP


No comments: