Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Grading the Teacher

Today’s Bible Reading:  2 Kings 17; 2 Chronicles 28; Psalm 46; James 3

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading:
Topic: Teaching



SCRIPTURE:  James 3:1

Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. (James 3:1 NIV)


OBSERVATION:

A teacher who teaches a particular subject to students may give and grade tests. Students who score above 90% on a test have done very well, but the teacher who takes the same test should be expected to score 100%. Those who teach are held to a higher standard, and that definitely applies to those who teach in Christ’s Church. Therefore, to take the office of teacher, one should weigh very carefully the magnitude before ever accepting such office. Indeed, in Christ’s Church teaching should never be presumed, but rather seen as a calling from God.


APPLICATION:

I am one who has been called by God to a ministry of teaching. I like to teach probably because the giftings God has created me with make me well suited to teach. However, I must never take lightly this calling or the higher standard by which I am and will be judged.


PRAYER:

God grant me Your wisdom and guidance as I teach and keep me from presumption. I humbly pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.  –AP


No comments: