Monday, July 17, 2017

Hooray for Trials!

Today’s Bible Reading:  Isaiah 29-31; James 1

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading:
Topic: Perseverance



SCRIPTURE:  James 1:2-4

2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (James 1:2-5 NIV)


OBSERVATION:

You’ve got to be kidding me James! God, are You telling me to be joyful about hardships I go through?

Verse 2 literally in the Greek says, heegeésasthe (command authoritatively to count or consider) it pásan (all, whole, thoroughly) charán (cheerful, calm delight) hótan (whenever, in as mush as) you peripéseete (fall into, light upon or among, are surrounded with) poikílois (different, various, manifold) peirasmoís (adversity, temptation, provocation).

But verse 3 goes on to give the reason why:  …because the trying or testing of your faith develops hupomoneén (enduring patience, perseverance). And why is this important?...

Verse 4 – because in this world we will need that kind of complete and mature faith that is made strong through the exercise of patiently enduring hard trials.  


APPLICATION:

Whatever hard knocks I suffer in life, I must never give up. I must approach it as exercise that makes my physical, emotional and spiritual being stronger. When I see it in this light, I may be able to recognize the pain not as something to be disdained, but as helpful to my growth and maturity as a being created for a God-given purpose. I may even be able to thank God for the struggle, not just for the end of the struggle (whenever that may come), but for the struggle itself. It is a tall order, but with His presence within me through Christ, I might actually come to consider it pure joy.


PRAYER:

Lord, without You I am unable to endure hard trials. I am so thankful for the strength within me that comes only from You. May each and every trail I face strengthen me and not destroy me. May my faith continually grow and endure all the days of my life.
Through Christ. Amen.  –AP



No comments: