Wednesday, July 26, 2017

He Will Carry, Sustain, Rescue

Today’s Bible Reading:  Isaiah 46-49; 1 Peter 5

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading: 
Topic: Trust in God


SCRIPTURE:  Isaiah 46:4

Even to your old age and gray hairs
I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
I will sustain you and I will rescue you. (Isa 46:4 NIV)


OBSERVATION:

The context of Isaiah 46 is debasing the gods of Babylon. They are impotent and burdensome. The one true God—the Creator of the heavens and the earth (45:18), is omnipotent. The cold stone gods of Babylon must be carried by men and beasts of burden (vv. 1-2). Our God— the God of the house of Jacob (v. 3), carries us. He is reliable and trustworthy all the days of our lives. He carries, sustains and rescues us from birth through old age.


APPLICATION:

As of this writing I am approaching, if not already arrived at, old age. I certainly have the “gray hairs.” I can personally testify of the faithfulness and trustworthiness of God to me through many years of hardship and ease, sorrow and joy, sickness and health, days of want and days of plenty. He has carried me through it all. When difficulties of life arise, it is comforting to know His presence will see me through. When joyous times come (and thank you God, there have been many), I cannot help but offer my praise and thanksgiving to my God.

The reality of life on this earth is that as our bodies grow old the strength and vitality of youth eventually declines. I am not physically as strong and vigorous as I once was, but in my heart, soul and spirit I am mightier than ever through Christ who strengthens me. I am not feeble by any means, but I know that I will one day die and that day draws closer year by year. When my body finally gives way to the sleep of death, it will not be the end, but the ultimate rescue.


PRAYER:

Lord, I praise you for the joy of life. I thank you for showing me purpose and giving me fulfillment. I know you will sustain me until my life’s course is run, and that is just the beginning of my existence in your love and care.
To You I offer all honor, love and glory. Amen.  -AP


No comments: