Friday, July 7, 2017

He’s All I Need

Today’s Bible Reading:  Hosea 10-12; Psalm 73; Hebrews 4

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading:
Topic: Trust



SCRIPTURE:  Psalm 73:1-3 & 23-26

1 Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart.
2 But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold.
3 For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. (Ps 73:1-3 NIV)

23 Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. 24 You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. 25 Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. 26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Ps 73:23-26 NIV)


OBSERVATION:

The psalmist begins this psalm with a declaration of God’s goodness to His children (Israel), to those whose hearts are pure (v. 1). He then expresses his doubts. He almost slipped; he nearly lost his footing; he became envious of others (vv. 1-3). In the following verses he laments how the wicked seem to prosper while he struggles and suffers. However, he finally comes around to realizing how senseless and arrogant such attitudes are (v. 22), and again expresses his trust in and reliance upon the Lord (vv. 23-26). 


APPLICATION:

On the occasion of writing this journal entry, I identify with the psalmist. Life in ministry and in service to the Lord can sometimes get weary. I have felt discouraged at the seeming lack of progress and poor church attendance in the church I have been called to serve. In my thoughts I have been envious of other ministers with bigger churches and bigger paychecks. My feet “almost” stumbled and my steps “nearly” slipped, but—praise the Lord!—like the psalmist, I have been able to see the error in such attitudes. When my flesh and my heart start to fail, I discover afresh that the Lord IS my strength today and forever!


PRAYER:

Lord, You are my portion. You are sufficient and I need no more. Help me to remember that. Through Christ. Amen.  –AP



No comments: