Friday, March 31, 2017

How Much Wealth Does It Take?

(This post has appeared in this blog several times, we are happy to repost this popular post.)
Today’s Bible Reading:  Judges 9-10, Psalm 49, 1 Corinthians 16
Topic: Redemption



SCRIPTURE:  Psalm 49:6-8
   
6 Those who trust in their wealth
         And boast in the multitude of their riches,
 7 None of them can by any means redeem his brother,
         Nor give to God a ransom for him—
 8 For the redemption of their souls is costly…  
(Psalm 49:6-8 NKJV)


OBSERVATION:
What is the cost for redemption?  How much wealth would it take to pay for it?  The psalmist here observes the truth that, “the redemption of souls… is costly.”  The NIV Bible states it this way, “no payment is ever enough.”  All people, rich or poor, will one day die and their bodies decay.  Whatever wealth one accumulates will be left behind to others.  But though our bodies will perish and our wealth cannot purchase redemption for our souls, the psalmist yet sees hope for redemption:

15 But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave, for He shall receive me.  Selah (Ps 49:15 NKJV)  

Our redemption is totally out of our control.  No amount of human ability, or wealth, or power will redeem us or our fellow human beings.  Redemption can only come from God and by His grace.     


APPLICATION:
If I were a wealthy man, I can think of many worthwhile things I could do with that wealth (and yes, many selfish pursuits as well).  But if I had unlimited financial resources I could become the greatest philanthropist the world has ever known.  I would receive the accolades of people everywhere (Ps 49:18).  Yet all of that wealth, or ability, or wisdom, or knowledge, or good intentions, or sincerity, or love… (you can insert anything in the place of “wealth”) …none of that can redeem me or anyone else.  My eternal redemption and everyone else’s is completely out of my hands.  Only Jesus Christ is able to purchase redemption.  Only He is able to deliver from death unto eternal life.


PRAYER:
Thank You Lord for Your love that exceeds all else—that provides what I can never provide.

In worship and thanksgiving.  Amen.  -AP  

No comments: