Friday, March 17, 2017

Knowing by the Spirit

Today’s Bible Reading:  Deuteronomy 32-34, 1 Corinthians 2
Topic: Teaching/Preaching




SCRIPTURE:  1 Corinthians 2:4-5, 12

4 ...my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. (1 Cor 2:4-5 NKJV)

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. (1 Cor 2:12 NKJV)


OBSERVATION:

Some things may only be discerned and known spiritually.  The Apostle Paul, in this chapter of 1 Corinthians, declares that his teaching and preaching were not derived from, “human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power” (v. 4).  Paul was indeed an intellectual man and highly educated.  However, he realized that his intellect and studies were less important than having the power and inspiration of the Holy Spirit propelling his preaching and teaching.  It was more important to hear and be led by the Holy Spirit than to rely upon his own humanly acquired wisdom.


APPLICATION:

The application for any who would serve the Lord as a preacher or teacher is that they certainly must study and develop the mental and speaking gifts God has given them.  But woe to you if you rely only on those gifts and do not grow and learn and speak under the Holy Spirit’s anointing and direction.


PRAYER:

Lord, grant unto me the fullness of Your Spirit.  As I study, may my intellect be sharpened and my knowledge increased.  May my studies be guided and enlightened by Your Spirit.  I realize that of greater importance than my intellectual development is my spiritual development.  May spiritual discernment and wisdom from You always accompany my teaching and preaching, that those who hear may also receive more than the impartation of knowledge, but spiritually receive of Your love, power and wisdom.

Through Christ.  Amen.  -AP    

No comments: