Thursday, March 2, 2017

Hear Him!

(Repost from 3/2/09)
Today’s Bible Reading:  Numbers 30-31, Mark 9
Topic: Spiritual Hearing



SCRIPTURE:  Mark 9:7
   
7 And a cloud came and overshadowed them; and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son. Hear Him!”  (Mark 9:7 NKJV)


OBSERVATION:

How good is your hearing? Sometimes in the physical, people have hearing deficiencies.  Especially when people get older, their hearing may become a little dulled. At the age of 65 I’ve noticed that my hearing isn’t as good as it used to be. In a noisy restaurant for example, I find I have to really lean in and give focused concentration to the person across the table from me in order to understand what they are saying. Sometimes, however, people don’t hear because they’re just not listening.  Rather than asking, “How good is your hearing?” perhaps a better question would be, “How good is your listening?”

I overheard a couple of older gentlemen talking once. One guy was worried about his wife and was telling his friend, “My wife has begun talking to herself a lot lately.” His friend just laughed and said, “My wife’s been talking to herself for years, but she doesn’t know it. She thinks I’m listening.”

The NIV version of Mark 9:7 reads like this:

7 Then a cloud appeared and enveloped them, and a voice came from the cloud: "This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!" (Mark 9:7 NIV)


APPLICATION:

Do you ever hear someone without paying any attention to them? I guess husbands are famous for that aren’t they? One reason we may not hear Jesus is that we just aren’t listening. Another reason, however, may be because our hearing has been damaged. Just as in the physical, people may be experiencing some hearing loss without even realizing it, the same thing could have happened to some of us spiritually. Just as injury, infection, etc. can physically damage your ears; past hurts or misunderstandings, pride, arrogance, un-repented sin, etc. can damage your spiritual hearing. Sometimes we just need to make the conscious decision to listen for the Lord’s voice. Sometimes we need to be healed of a hearing blockage.


PRAYER:

Lord, I want to hear You!  Forgive me for the times when I have been guilty of not listening to Your voice.  And heal me of any conditions that may be blocking or dulling my spiritual hearing.

Through Christ my Savior, my Healer, and the One who directs my path. Amen.  -AP 

No comments: