Thursday, March 16, 2017

God is Inclined Toward Me

Today’s Bible Reading:  Deuteronomy 30-31; Psalm 40; 1 Corinthians 1
Topic: Hope



SCRIPTURE:  Psalm 40:1-3

1 I waited patiently for the Lord;
And He inclined to me,
And heard my cry.
2 He also brought me up out of a horrible pit,
Out of the miry clay,
And set my feet upon a rock,
And established my steps.
3 He has put a new song in my mouth —
Praise to our God;
Many will see it and fear,
And will trust in the Lord.
(Ps 40:1-3 NKJV)


OBSERVATION:

As I read this psalm of David and write this journal entry, my wife and I are at our son’s home babysitting our baby granddaughter. They have a monitoring device installed that allows you to see and hear the baby in her crib from anywhere in the house. So while I write and my wife reads, we have this monitor that our ears are inclined to. We are listening for any cry from the child that we love and care for.

How encouraging it is to know that God is inclined toward me and hears my cries for help. He loves and cares for me. He delivers me from sinful entanglements, gives direction for my path and meaningful words to speak. Like David, I know I can trust Him and am inspired to offer Him my praise.


APPLICATION:

When I read these verses today, it felt for a moment as if I were reading about myself. When I was a young man I made some poor decisions and did some foolish things, the consequences of which have followed me all the days of my life.

The Lord gave me a vision in a dream long ago. In this dream I was standing on a wooden walkway looking down into a pit where people were dancing and rolling in sloppy, slimy mud. They were expending great energy with this “dirty” dancing and urged me to come down into the pit with them, but I had no desire to do so.

Some time after that dream, events in my life, against my own will, drug me into the mire. All I could do was to tenaciously hold on to the Lord and cry out to Him. He did hear my cry. He did pull me out. He did establish my steps anew and put a joyful song in my heart again.


PRAYER:
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You my Lord! You are worthy of all my love, praise and adoration. Thank You for setting my feet upon the solid Rock. Continue to fill my mouth with fresh new words that may draw others near to you as well. In Jesus’ name. Amen.  -AP


                                             

No comments: