Sunday, May 14, 2017

Encouraged by Disciples' Faith

Today’s Bible Reading:  1 Chronicles 22-24; 1 Thessalonians 3
Topic: Encouragement



SCRIPTURE:  1 Thessalonians 3:7-8

7 Therefore, brothers, in all our distress and persecution we were encouraged about you because of your faith. 8 For now we really live, since you are standing firm in the Lord.
(1 Thess 3:7-8 NIV)


OBSERVATION:

The Apostle Paul never married and had no biological children; but, just like a parent, he found satisfaction and saw his life’s purpose fulfilled in his spiritual children. Knowing that those he had discipled and fathered in the faith were standing firm in that faith allayed Paul’s fears (see v. 5) and enlivened him in the midst of the persecution he was enduring.


APPLICATION:                                        

My primary motivational gift is that of the exhorter or encourager. One of the traits of this gift is that exhorters want to see results. So, just as Paul was encouraged to hear a good report about the Thessalonians (his children in the faith), I can definitely relate to the need for positive feedback to both my parenting and my ministry. Often in ministry I do not see or hear how people may be impacted by my preaching and teaching. However, whenever I do receive a good report or hear a testimony that something I taught actually made a difference in someone’s life, or when I see or hear my grown children living and repeating things I taught them, it heartens me, encourages my soul and lifts my spirit.   


PRAYER:

Thank You Lord for the encouragement I receive from knowing I share these certain traits in common with the great apostle. I serve at Your pleasure and not my own, but a little encouragement to the encourager from time to time is an enlivening blessing.

In Christ, glory to God. Amen.  –AP

No comments: