Thursday, May 11, 2017

Authority to Go

Today’s Bible Reading:  2 Samuel 19-20; Psalm 55; Matthew 28
Topic: Authority



SCRIPTURE:  Matthew 28:18-20

18 Then Jesus came to them (His disciples) and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matt 28:18-20 NIV)


OBSERVATION:

This is Matthew’s stating of the Great Commission. An interesting observation is the subject of authority. Jesus clearly has “all authority in heaven and on earth,” and it is in His authority that His disciples are sent. “Therefore,” because of His authority, we who are His disciples have been given the empowerment to make more disciples of Jesus. It is His power and authority and He has given it to us! Furthermore, He has not just vested us with His commission and the ability to carry it out, but we are promised His presence with us backing up that authority: “…surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”


APPLICATION:                                        

Why should I be timid or fearful about sharing my faith—about telling anyone about Jesus and His commands? I have His presence within and all authority has been transmitted to me by Him. What should I fear?


PRAYER:

May I be emboldened Lord by your presence, your Spirit and your Word to make disciples for You.

By your authority. Amen.  –AP

No comments: