Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Who Needs the Holy Spirit?

Today’s Bible Reading:  Numbers 10-11, Psalm 27, Mark 1
 Topic: Power for Ministry



SCRIPTURE:  Mark 1:1-11 (particularly verses 9-11)

9 It came to pass in those days that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10 And immediately, coming up from the water, He saw the heavens parting and the Spirit descending upon Him like a dove. 11 Then a voice came from heaven, “You are My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” (Mark 1:9-11 NKJV)


OBSERVATION:

This is an amazing scene! When Jesus came up from under the Jordan River waters of baptism, the Holy Spirit immediately descended upon Him, “like a dove.” It is important for us to recognize that while Jesus was and is the Son of God (He is God Himself come in human form, and we know that God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are all one God); but He came to minister and operate as a man. So, as a man Jesus needed the empowerment of the Holy Spirit for effective ministry, and that is what is given to Him here.

The dove here not only suggests gentleness and purity, but doves were also used as sacrificial offerings. This whole magnificent scene presents a picture of the character and manner of Jesus’ redemptive ministry. And the whole thing is immediately confirmed and sealed by the supernatural utterance from the Father in heaven…

11 And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."

Note the inner bond between “the Son of God” (v.1) and the Father.  The heavenly voice speaks the combined words of Psalm 2:7 and Isaiah 42:1. In Psalm 2:7 God addresses the anointed King as His Son…

7 I will proclaim the decree of the LORD: He said to me, "You are my Son; today I have become your Father. (Psalm 2:7 NIV)

In Isaiah 42:1, God addresses His Servant in whom He delights and upon whom He has placed His Spirit…

1 "Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him and he will bring justice to the nations.  (Isaiah 42:1 NIV)

When you put all these together you can see a picture showing that the Son of God will perform the ministry of the Servant of God by the power of the Holy Spirit of God.

So the earthly ministry of the Son of God who has come to live and minister as a human being is here inaugurated by the Holy Spirit descending and resting upon Him, and is confirmed by the voice of God the Father.


APPLICATION:

As a man, Jesus needed the empowerment of the Holy Spirit in order to minister with the power and authority He demonstrated throughout His earthly ministry. How much more then must I realize that I need to be filled with the Holy Spirit to have effective ministry?


PRAYER:

Lord, thank You for the privilege of serving You. You are the Baptizer with the Holy Spirit (Mark 1:8). Thank You for baptizing me. I pray that You will fill me afresh with Your Holy Spirit daily, that I may be an effective minister and servant to the building of Your Kingdom. May Your kingdom come and Your will be done. Amen.  -AP  

No comments: