Sunday, February 19, 2017

Ridiculed, Tortured, Executed

February 19
Today’s Bible Reading:  Numbers 5-6, Psalm 22, Acts 26

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading:

Topic: Messianic Prophecy
SCRIPTURE:  Psalm 22:6-18
(See passage by passage comparison below of Psalm 22:6-18 with New Testament passages in the Gospels)


OBSERVATION:
It is clear this psalm is prophetically speaking of the Messiah, Jesus Christ.  Just a cursory  comparison to the New Testament Gospels should leave no doubt:

Jesus was despised, rejected and mocked

  6 But I am a worm, and no man; A reproach of men, and despised by the people.
 7 All those who see Me ridicule Me; They shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
 8 “He trusted in the LORD, let Him rescue Him; Let Him deliver Him, since He delights in Him!” (Ps 22:6-8)
    
39 And those who passed by blasphemed Him, wagging their heads…
41 Likewise the chief priests also, mocking with the scribes and elders, said, 42 "He saved others; Himself He cannot save. If He is the King of Israel, let Him now come down from the cross, and we will believe Him. (Mt 27:39,41,42 NKJV)

Jesus was conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin
       
 9 But You are He who took Me out of the womb; You made Me trust while on My mother’s breasts.
 10 I was cast upon You from birth. From My mother’s womb You have been My God.
(Ps 22:9-10)

20 …"Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus , for He will save His people from their sins." (Mt 1:20-21 NKJV)

Jesus faced the burden of the cross alone

 11 Be not far from Me, For trouble is near; For there is none to help. (Ps 22:11)
    
34 Then He said to them, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch."  35 He went a little farther, and fell on the ground, and prayed that if it were possible, the hour might pass from Him. 36 And He said, "Abba, Father, all things are possible for You. Take this cup away from Me; nevertheless, not what I will, but what You will."  37 Then He came and found them sleeping… (Mk 14:34-37 NKJV)

Jesus was violently seized by the angry mob

 12 Many bulls have surrounded Me; Strong bulls of Bashan have encircled Me.
 13 They gape at Me with their mouths, Like a raging and roaring lion.
(Ps 22:12-13)

43 And immediately, while He was still speaking, Judas, one of the twelve, with a great multitude with swords and clubs, came from the chief priests and the scribes and the elders.
46 Then they laid their hands on Him and took Him. (Mk 14:43,46 NKJV)

Jesus sacrificed His life, suffered and died on the cross
       
 14 I am poured out like water, And all My bones are out of joint; My heart is like wax;
         It has melted within Me.
(Ps 22:14)
    
34 …one of the soldiers pierced Jesus' side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water. (Jn 19:34 NIV)

 15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd, And My tongue clings to My jaws;
         You have brought Me to the dust of death.
(Ps 22:15)
    
28 After this, Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, "I thirst!"  29 Now a vessel full of sour wine was sitting there; and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop, and put it to His mouth. 30 So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit. (Jn 19:28-30 NKJV)
       
 16 For dogs have surrounded Me; The congregation of the wicked has enclosed Me.
         They pierced My hands and My feet;
17 I can count all My bones. They look and stare at Me.
 18 They divide My garments among them, And for My clothing they cast lots.
 (Ps 22:16-18 NKJV)
    
35 Then they crucified Him, and divided His garments, casting lots, (Mt 27:35 NKJV)


APPLICATION:
When seeing what Christ has done for us, how can we not but be compelled to fall before Him in praise and thanksgiving, confessing our sins and receiving the gift of salvation purchased for us at so great a cost.


PRAYER:
Thank You Lord for such great love, sacrifice, and salvation given to me.  Help me share Your passion with passion.

For Your sake and Your kingdom.  Amen.  -AP

No comments: