Monday, February 13, 2017

Hearing, Knowing, Obeying

(Repost from 7/31/11 and 8/18/13)
Today’s Bible Reading:  Leviticus 20-22, Acts 20
Topic: Dedication



SCRIPTURE:  Acts 20:22-24
    
22 "And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. 23 I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. 24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me — the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.  (Acts 20:22-24 NIV)


OBSERVATION:

Paul’s dedication to the mission given to him by the Lord is incredible.  Knowing that the Jews in Jerusalem had sought to kill him, he did not hesitate to return there at the Lord’s leading.  Knowing that the mission he was called to would lead to prison and hardships” ahead, he did not hesitate to obey. 

Equally impressive is his willing ear attuned to the Holy Spirit.  There is no hint that Paul had to go to extraordinary measures or strain to hear the leading of the Spirit.  There is no doubting or wondering if he heard correctly.  He did not have to puzzle over what the Lord really meant.

Paul walked with the Lord so closely that he knew and heard the voice of the Lord clearly without a doubt.  His dedication to the Lord was so complete that his personal well being was not a concern.  His only compulsion was to complete the mission given to him to share gospel of Christ.  His allegiance to the Lord was uncluttered by anything else.


APPLICATION:

Wow, what an example for Christian leaders today to aspire to!  Few people have a relationship with the Lord that close.  Yet, passages like this serve to encourage us that it is possible have such a walk with the Lord.


PRAYER:

Lord, I struggle sometimes to hear Your voice.  I often ponder and labor over trying to understand clearly Your direction for me.  May my daily path draw me ever closer to You, and may I come to discern Your will with clarity and without hesitation.

In Jesus’ name.  Amen.  -AP

No comments: