Sunday, August 6, 2017

The God Connection

August 6
Today’s Bible Reading:  Habakkuk 1-3; John 8

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading: 
Topic: Hearing God



SCRIPTURE:  John 8:47

Jesus said…

“He who is of God hears God's words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God." (John 8:47 NKJV)


OBSERVATION:

When communication is achieved electronically there must be a transmitter and a receiver working in tandem on the same frequency. If either of these is absent, communication cannot be completed. If either of these is faulty or if they are operating on different frequencies, the message may be garbled or obscured by static. What Jesus is stating in this verse is that in order to hear and understand God’s words you must be “of God”—you must be connected to God. That puts you on the right frequency so to speak. And the conduit for that connection is through Christ.


APPLICATION:

How true this passage is. I get so frustrated at times because people just don’t seem to “get it.” I tell them the truth about Jesus in terms that seem perfectly clear, and it is as though they don’t even hear. The words just sail right over their heads. I think, “How can you not understand? I’m speaking perfectly clear English.” Yet when I say the same words to true Christians there is an immediate connection of understanding. Being or not being of God must be what makes the difference. Being connected to God through Jesus is what makes the reception clear. It is as though until people make the Jesus connection they are hearing through a weak and garbled cell phone connection. It is therefore vitally important for me to always keep my connection with God solid, that I may continue to hear and understand.


PRAYER:

Lord forgive me when I become lax in spending quality time with You. May I always hear your words to me clearly. I pray that others who do not yet know You will switch providers so to speak and get connected to You through Christ Jesus. Amen.  -AP


No comments: