Friday, September 15, 2017

My Name In Jesus’ Book

Today’s Bible Reading:  Ezekiel 38-39; Revelation 20

Journal Entry on a passage from today’s reading:
Topic: Judgment



SCRIPTURE:  Revelation 20:15

11 …I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire. (Rev 20:11-15 NIV)


OBSERVATION:

The “lake of fire” we are told, is the second death (v.14). The second death is the sentence given to those whose names are not recorded in the “Lamb’s (Jesus’) book of life” (Rev 21:27). This is the final judgment after Satan has been cast to the second death—the lake of fire (v. 10). It is of eternal importance to every human being to see to it that their name is written in Jesus’ book!  


APPLICATION:

Revelation 20 seems to indicate that everything I have ever done, good or bad, has been recorded in “books.” According to what I have done I will be judged. If this is the only way I am judged, then I am doomed, because I have certainly fallen short. My deeds prove me deserving of the second death! The only thing that will redeem me is if my name is recorded in the Lamb’s book of life. If my name is found there then either I will become exempt from the judgment of the other books, or else when the other books are opened, all of my indiscretions will be found to have been erased or blotted out. 


PRAYER:

Hallelujah! Thank You Jesus, the Lamb! Amen.  –AP



No comments: